Thursday, November 22, 2007

Decrees - Life or Death?

In the musical Wicked, once Elphaba, commonly but wrongly called the Wicked Witch of the West, realizes that everything she has ever attempted to do for good has seemingly turned to bad she sings a song, "No Good Deed." She states,

No good deed goes unpunished
No act of charity goes unresented
No good deed goes unpunished
That's my new creed
My road of good intentions
Led where such roads always lead
No good deed
Goes unpunished!

Later in the same song she makes a decree.

No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented
No good deed goes unpunished
Sure, I meant well -
Well, look at what well-meant did:
All right, enough - so be it
So be it, then:
Let all Oz be agreed
I'm wicked through and through
Since I can not succeed
Fiyero, saving you
I promise no good deed
Will I attempt to do again
Ever again
No good deed
Will I do again!

I'm thinking about changing some of those words so that they fit me. I'm thinking about it, but you know ya gotta be careful when you start making those decrees. They can alter the paths your life takes. These are the words I'm thinking of changing them to with the final decree. Now, I'm not stating these words nor the decree. These are just thoughts.....just......thoughts.

No good KAL will be noticed
No Lace knitting takes up all your time
No good KAL will be noticed
That's my new creed
My road of shawls & stoles
Led where such roads always lead
No good KAL will be noticed!!

No good KAL will be noticed
All lace knitting urges should be circumvented
No good KAL will be noticed
Sure, I meant well -
Well, look at what well-meant did
All right, enough, so be it
So be it, then:
Let all the world be agreed
I'm wicked through and through
Since I can not succeed
UFOs, knitting you
I promise no good KAL
Will I ever join again
Every again
No good KAL
will I join again!!!

On the road up home to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family I cast on another sock. While knitting this sock Aaron's Tomten began talking to me from my knitting bag. He stated that if I weren't involved in so many KALs I would be able to finish him in time for Christmas. He went on to say that if I would quit adulterating with all the frilly, little lace thingys I would have plenty of time to knit all the socks, sweaters, scarves, gloves, mittens and this unbelievable dressing gown. He said, heck, then you'd actually be able to get some use out of that spinning wheel you had such a fit about getting. By the time I got to my mother's I was pretty well whupped. This stupid Tomten even had the nerve to stick his head out of the knitting bag when my family was going on about my socks and the felted bag. Nodding his silly little head and saying, See? These are the things that really get attention out here in the REAL world and not in your little KAL internet world.

So I got to thinking, maybe that is what I should do. I mean I should complete these KALs I'm working on right now and those I've already signed up for that start at the first of the year. But after that I should stop. I should wash my hands of all KALs. How many shawls/stoles can one person use anyways? I thought, I should make a decree - I will NOT join anymore KALs. Then I really started having totally crazy thoughts. My thoughts began to race toward the other end of the spectrum. I began thinking I should just frog everything but the KALs. That Tomten had just about put me over the edge folks. I thought to myself, "Peggy Lynn, girl, you gotta getta hold of yo'self. You gonna start letting some stupid boring brown Tomten boss you around? Girl, since when did you take to take'n bossin from anybody, especially from that ole thing?"

So, ya know what I did? ........I came home and joined a new KAL on Ravelry. It is Plumes of the Peacock KAL and this is the pattern. There is also another group separate from the Ravelry group doing the same thing

I have also reswatched for the Spring Shawl Surprice. I will show the two together.










The one on the left was knitted using US size 2's. The blocked dimensions are 5.5" x 4.25". The one on the right was knitted using US size 3's. The blocked dimensions are 6" x 5". Even with the size 2's my swatch is bigger than the designer's swatcher's swatch which is 4.7" x 3.9" I think I am going to size with the size 2's.

It's all good. And no decrees slippin passed these lips!!!

Maybe I should be singin that song, "Oopps, I did it again."

6 comments:

June said...

Hey maybe, just maybe if you didn't knit lace all the time, you could come back to the knitting group on Tuesdays too! We miss ya, Peggy Lynn!

Traci said...

You are so fiendishly funny! Crazy Kal lady!

Anonymous said...

I think you should just knit whatever makes you happy!

Roseann said...

Your projects talk to you, too? I thought I was the only one. You are so talented with your writing, I enjoy reading your blogs very much, they always make me smile. Plus you save me the effort of looking for KALs as you so kindly mention them in your blog. Thank you for your entertaining and informative blog.

Anonymous said...

Peggy, you misunderstood-to-be-evil temptress, I have just decided not to finish one of the fall lace KAL that I am desperately behind on, and pull back from the lure of more for the same reasons of being "behind" on my other projects...and you tempt me with that beautiful peacock shawl...

Very clever post!

Rita in WI
Resorta on Ravelry

Anonymous said...

I like the size 2 look as it comes across on your blog