Saturday, November 17, 2007

It's A Love/Hate Thang

I'm trying to figure out if I'm psycho or schizo, or possibly both. Maybe I'm a psychotic narcissist. The reason behind all this psychiatric wonderings is my knitting. You see I find myself going from, "I love knitting, how do people live without knitting? These KALs are the most fun, I'm enjoying this so much," to "I hate knitting, why did I ever start this crap, and these stupid KALs with all the stupid clues and mystery, idiots." See? Actually, I think if you look in the DSM (Diagnostic Statistical Manual) this love/hate thang would be categorized as Bi-Polar Knitting Disorder. Happily, the love is way more stronger than the hate. The hate only lasts about a minute if that long. So I think I'm okay except for the voices that keep telling me there are KALs out there I know not of.

Here's a picture of a swatch I knitted up for the Spring Shawl Surprice (sic). If you want to join look to the right under Emma Belle's picture and there thou shalt find the link. Anyways, I think I'm going to have to go down in needle size. I'm using Jaggerspun Zephyr. I'm not sure of what the color is called because it was a gift and it didn't have the name. I'm not really a "pink" person so I don't call it pink. I prefer to call it Light Rose. The swatch is knitted up using US size 3's. I think I'm going to have to go down to a size 2. The designer's swatcher's swatch is 4.7" x 3.9" whereas mine is approximately 6" x 5".

And I'm not sure if it is too open or not. I know it is a "what you like" thing but, what do you think? I'm such a dang loose knitter. Someone on one of the KAL groups prefers to say "relaxed" knitter. I think that just makes me a relaxed loose knitter. Or possibly a loose relaxed knitter?
What would be a good word for a person that is the knitting equivalent of a
nymphomaniac?

13 comments:

Gertieanne said...

Hi,

My stole is so long I don't know what I am going to do with it. I hope when I block it that it will shorten up a bit?

I can't believe you belong to so many KALs. Maybe that explains your love/hate relationship with knitting. I love to knit.

Anyway, I had a sticky key on my keyboard and I bought some air in a can and sprayed it several times and now it no longer sticks.

Thank you for the very nice comment, your stole is very pretty too.

Tiffany said...

I think it looks nice! This is my first KAL and my first lace project (unless you count just doing basic tunisian stitch, etc) and I have to admit, I'm nervous. I haven't even gotten my yarn yet! LOL

Tiffany

Lori said...

Bi-polar knitting Disorder! That's a good one!

I like your lace the way it is, but I'd say the level of "openness" depends on what you want to do with the finished product. Because a more dense shawl/wrap will be warmer, and a lighter one will be perfect for a summer evening...

And hey, I'm a loose knitter too, and so way Elizabeth Zimmerman, so we're in good company :)

Kat said...

I think your swatch is perfect.

In an informal poll of knitters, I've found that (generally) the more experienced lace-knitter a person is, the more open they prefer their lace.

I'm a loose knitter too, but I think it makes it easier to knit. :-)

Alpaca Granny said...

equivalent of a nympho?
sexy knittin' kitten granny?

SYLVIE said...

I love the way you explain our condition :) I have the same love/hate relationship with my knitting.

What a pretty shade of pink! your swatch looks really nice, I would find it a bit loose if it was mine, I think I'll try a size 2 needle right away with my swatch.

Opal said...

Bipolar knitting disorder? Ha! I think I'm going through a bout of that myself these days.

June said...

Hi Peggy, I think that is actually coral, according to Fiddlesticks knitting: http://www.fiddlesticksknitting.com/ZephyrColours.html

The swatch looks nice, but the shawl will be huge at that guage won't it?

stitchin' girl said...

I think needle size vs yarn is a personal preference thing. I also tend to like my lace knitting a little denser, but I do really like the way your swatch turned out. It will be interesting to see how it looks on a size smaller needle.

I too have a love/hate relationship with my knitting and my KAL's. Mostly love - but I can never keep up :o)

Anonymous said...

What a great anaolgy!
I don't usually venture into hate, but it's a love vs. obssession thing with me. Of course, that's not very healthy either.

The swatch is lovely, the pink will look nice with lots of things.

Anonymous said...

Bi-polar Knitting Disorder or BPKD is, unfortunately, incurable I'm afraid. Perhaps you should try a weekend knitting retreat to relieve the symptoms. I hear cruises are nice this time of year...

LOL, Fair Winds

Traci said...

Love the color. I thought that the loosness is pretty.

Roseann said...

Thank you for all your KAL links, now I am all signed up. Pretty swatch! I know about the love/hate thing, mine has been about holiday gift knitting and I think I am starting to rebel. I plan to cast on some mittens tonight just because I have been dying to knit from my new mitten book.