Thursday, February 1, 2007

The Beginning

Well, today is day one of my new endeavor - this blog. My knitting experience - I first learned to knit in 4th grade via 4-H from a wonderful Czechoslovakian woman. I never got beyond a garter stitch potholder. My stitches were so tight I couldn't get my needle through. Became frustrated and quit. I have worked with numberous crafts over the years. You name it, just about, I have done it. Crocheting, needlepoint, crewel, embroidery, sewing, painting, macrame, knitting (of course) and now adding spinning.

When in my late 30's I decided that I was finally going to conquer knitting. I went to the local yarn store, bought some wonderful Icelandic Wool Yarn, some circular needles and set out to knit a beautiful sweater with a little Fair Isle stitching in the yoke. A rather ambitious endeavor for a beginning knitter but it turned out absolutely beautiful. Wish I could say I still have it. One thing I didn't pay attention to was the care of wool and I shortly ended up with a very short, felted sweater. :) Really wish I had kept it instead of chucking during one of our moves. I do not claim to be a "master knitter," however with now 14 years of experience I can hold my own.

My husband, David, and I have pastored for about 25 years now. We were at our first church in northern KY for 21 years. We began that church from scratch. Then about 3 years ago we felt it was time for us to move on. After several months of filling in as Pastor for a church until they found a permanent one we were asked if we would be interested in being the full-time Senior Pastor and we agreed. So here we are in southern KY having the time of our life.

Over the years I have lead/taught several knitting groups at our two churches. It is so exciting to see the progress of the group members. I am a firm believer that everyone needs an outlet. A "me time" activity. I have met so many women who do not have an outlet. Of course, all us "seasoned knitters" know that the "outlet" quickly becomes an addiction. I have more yarn and projects going than you can shake a stick at and still want more!!!!! However, after my group meeting last night I got under conviction about all my started but not completed projects and have decided to complete a few that are almost there. Gotta be a good example. :)

Just a little background. More on our group, Knitting With Ewe, later. And my spinning progress.

No comments: