Friday, September 28, 2007

The Lady In Black

I thought I was going to have Sara & Matthew's Hemlock finished and blocked to show you. However, I am lacking about 100 stitches worth of yarn to finish the cast off. So, alas, I've ordered an additional skein. It should be here next week and I'll have it finished by the wedding which is the 13th of October.

We had chosen and purchased the dress I was going to wear but after thinking about it Sara and I decided it was really too formal. So we went back to the store and found the absolute perfect one. Mind you it is black but black is my signature color. I have a lot of black, love black and want more black.

Several years ago while substitute teaching, I was in this particular 4th grade class quite a bit, in fact I filled in while the teacher was out on her honeymoon. At some point when I had just been in the class this one little fart of a boy, Bruce Butt (yes, real name), told his teacher, "Ms. Hensley, Mrs. Sturgeon is a witch." The teacher asked what would make him say such a thing and he said, "Well, she wears black all the time and have you ever seen when she raises her eyebrows? Her eyes just glow." I have to admit, I am one of those people that you can read via their eyes. What Mr. Butt was experiencing and had discovered my children have stated since birth.

In fact, when Aaron was a teen he had a friend over for the night. The friend started getting kinda loud and Aaron told him to cool it cause they were going to wake up his dad. The friend shrugged and kept doing whatever it was he was doing. Then Aaron said, your going to wake up my mom. The friend settled down and never made another peep.

It's all in the eyes!!!!!!!

Anyways, here is a picture of my dress. It is so yummy, I can't wait to wear it!!!!

7 comments:

Lori said...

Wow, great dress!
You'll have to teach me those eyes - I think my "mom look" is lacking something, since they usually laugh at me... *sigh*

Anonymous said...

The dress looks fabulous!
I use the eyes on my boys, but as soon as I look away all hell breaks loose. Mothers really do need eye in the back of their heads!

Valerie said...

Wow that dress looks wonderful!! I can do the same eye trick! I can get almost any kid (except my brother) to take a nap when they don't want to. All I have to do is look at them and say Lay Down... Please. 5 minutes later they're out. -=giggle=- I love the eye trick.

Alpaca Granny said...

Great dress! I wore the same dress for all 3 kids' weddings - along with Birkenstocks (they were sort of dressy)
Any way, I have a "look" also. Maybe we grew it when we were teaching full time.

Unknown said...

My kids would say something similar about me - but also about an opal I wore. When the color left, they did too because I was 'annoyed' with something.

Love the dress - Best advice for the wedding - have fun!!!

Tabitha said...

Being very fond of the color black myself...I love your dress! You'll be one hot momma in it too :)
I know that "mom look" your talking about. I use it myself all the time:)

Traci said...

I love that story! I can do that to an extent. Sounds like you have it down!
Love the dress!